June 04, 2011

✿Sauerkraut

About a month ago, I attended fermentation workshop at the Cafe Gratitude in Berkeley.  The author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods, Sandor Ellix Katz was the instructor.  
I tasted some of his sauerkraut while he was talking about all kinds of fermentation aspects as well as how to make sauerkraut and about fermented food from all over the world.  
He talked about miso, umeboshi and natto and many other fermented food from many other countries. 
Even just how to make and when to eat (preserve time) sauerkraut is so different depends of the countries and areas.  He mention about Bosnian way of making sauerkraut is so different from other culture.  In bosnia, they ferment whole cabbage first and they  shredded right before they serve instead of in other culture, they shredded the cabbage first and ferment in a jar.
By the way, when I visited Bosnia 2 or 3 years ago, I saw almost everybody makes their own vegetables at their garden even in the capital, Sarajevo.  They call  "paradise" for tomato. They probably feels that eating paradise in the summer time feels like they are in paradise... 

Fermented food is easier to digest and it has so much nutritional benefits.  I love eating raw food and I want to add more fermented food in my diet.
I have been making a lot of fermented food like miso, vegetable pickles, umeboshi(plum pickles), loquat extract  and other preserved food.   

This is the sauerkraut I made about 3 weeks ago.
Cabbage, konbu and hijiki in the ceramic bowl I made about 4 or 5 years ago.