June 05, 2011

✿Umeboshi

About 3 years ago, my friend gave me tons of plums from his garden.  Since he gave me like 3 bags of plums, I remember making about 10 jars of plum jam and 3 large bottle of plum wine even I don't drink alcohol at all.  I still have lots of 3 year aged plum wine left.  I usually serve when friends are over but I forget most of the time since I don't drink.
This year, I'm making Umeboshi with Japanese plums. 
Umeboshi is pickled plum we eat in Japan.
My friend Nina's mother has 5 Japanese plum trees at her garden.  I help her harvesting and she gave me so many plums and thought me how to make Umeboshi.  I choose my favorite panda jar.
After washing the plums, wipe with cloth and just mix with salt.
I used Himalayan Pink Salt.
Himalayan Pink Salt is harvested from ancient sea beds and Himalayan people used this salt to preserve food.  It has a rich mineral and iron and has very nice pale pink color.
Well, it's important to choose good salt for the health.
Later on, I have to take the plums out the jar and dry them under the sun for 3 days...
I will post another blog when I do that !

I've been making lots of preserving and fermenting food and it's been so much fun !

The fundraising bazaar I was doing with friends last 2 and half months is over and I have more time so I finally start working on Adidas collaboration a few days ago.  (This collaboration profit will go to Japan relief as well and I will let you know more detail later)  I realize smiling as I was creating and sewing 'cause it was so much fun!!