November 13, 2011

✿Rainbow Flag Project


It's been 8 months since the earthquake and tsunami in Japan in March 11th.  Many victims says "hardest things is to be forgotten".  United Earth volunteer group from Japan put this project together to gather messages from 10 thousand people on the rainbow flags.

~ Kizuna : Rainbow Flag Project 2011 ~

More than 100 victims gather and made 56 of 2 meter by 2 meter (6.5 feet x 6.5 feet) rainbow flags and send to each prefectures in Japan and some foreign countries.  Their goal 
was to have at least 200 messages on each flags, 10 thousand messages total for the victims in Tohoku in a month from October 11th to November 11th 2011.

On 11-11-2011 at 11:11 am,  more than 200 local victims run up the 111 meter (121 feet) long flag in the city of Minami Sanriku Chou where it was affected by the earthquake and tsunami.

My friend, Yoko-san from San Francisco heard about this project and decided to join in October 27th while all the prefectures in Japan were working on this project for several weeks already.  She made a big flags and gather 176 people's message with her friend Yuko-san in just 8 days which is so incredible.  

I was fortunate to join in this project by writing the message on flag.  Thank you, Yoko-san.  She said, she was so grateful that she could join and to represent rainbow flags from  the rainbow flag city, San Francisco.

The next day, on 12th, Yoko-san sent me the link of this film.
Under the sky of Berkeley, America,
I'm always thinking of you guys.
Thank you 
for hanging in there.
アメリカのバークレーの空の下から
いつもみなさんの事を思っています。
がんばってくれていて
ありがとう。

At 3 minutes and 11 seconds of this video, I saw the message I wrote on the flag.  Oh my god, I was just so thrilled and had goose bumps, it was amazing to see my own message on the video.

I hope all of our messages reach to the heart of those victims who lost their family, friends, home or work.  We never forget about them, even after 8 months after the disaster, many people in many countries are still doing something what they can do to help victims.



I personally organized fundraising bazaar and "I love Japan" T-shirts sale with friends to support earthquake and tsunami victims.  We raised $36000.  For more info, please, check the site www.KeepGoingJapan.com .

I also Adidas x Momoca collaborate project to support victims in Tohoku.
more info about this : here and here