January 26, 2012

✿Tea Ceremony

I've been taking Japanese Tea Ceremony lesson almost a year now.  I remember taking one casual Tea Ceremony lesson when I was in Girl Scouts in Japan but I never thought I would take Tea Ceremony lessons especialy here in U.S.  

I find it very interesting to know the special manners and there is always more to learn at the Tea Ceremony 
Yes, we learn to be polite and respect other people in Japan but this Tea Ceremony is ultimate way of respecting people, tools and tea itself.  
We learn to respect the deep meaning of manner as a tea server and as a guest and each little movement of the hands has meaning to respect and to enjoy the maccha tea.
Another reason I take Okeiko(lesson) is that my Tea Ceremony Master is someone I really respect. When I found out she gives Tea Ceremony Okeiko, it made me want to learn from her.  I respect my Master and I admire her as a person and as a woman.  She started taking Tea Ceremony Okeiko when she was a child in Japan and now she has a beautiful tea room and teach several times in a month.

It's not very polite to bring camera into the tea room but my Master gave me permission.  This photo is right before we start Okeiko (lesson) so no one is inside the room.  Tea setting changes every seasons and this day was the first Okeiko of this year.


Tea sweets, Omanjyu.  It has red bean paste inside.  People find it very strange (funny) that I'm taking Tea Ceremony lesson when they find out that I don't like these Japanese sweets because these sweets always come with Tea Ceremony.   I think they are very pretty thought... so I enjoy the beauty of it.


Sakura pink color and young leave green color tells spring has arrived.  
We say "new spring" meaning... "new year"